Preventing and stopping workplace bullying
Workplace bullying not only affects staff, but can also affect an organization’s ability to operate. Nevertheless, new research shows that workplace bullying is on the rise.
What is workplace bullying?
In its simplest form, workplace bullying is repetitive and irrational behavior directed at employees that poses health and safety risks. Examples of behavior that may be considered workplace bullying include:
- Abusive, insulting or offensive language
- unfair criticism or complaints
- deliberately exclude someone from workplace activities
- Setting unreasonable timelines or constantly changing deadlines
- Setting tasks that are unreasonably below or above an individual’s skill level
- Spread false information or malicious rumors.
What would you do if you were bullied at work?
- See your workplace policies and procedures to see if your workplace has a bullying policy and reporting procedures.
- If you feel safe and secure, talk to other people. They may not be aware of the impact their actions have on you.
- Please report. Your employer cannot address the issue without knowing it.
What should companies do to ensure that workplace bullying is prevented?
Below are ways your business can prevent/stop workplace bullying from happening.
- Implement appropriate systems and training to manage allegations of bullying
- Have workplace bullying policies and procedures, including a social media policy
- Train managers in effective management of employees to avoid charges
- Train staff on appropriate behavior in the workplace, including bullying and harassment
- Make satisfactory arrangements for investigating, monitoring, handling and enforcing results or complaints.
Workplace bullying can happen to anyone in any kind of workplace, so it’s important to identify workplace bullying when it occurs and take preventative measures to prevent it from reoccurring in the workplace. . It’s also important to remember that everyone has the right to feel safe in a bully-free workplace.
Connect with us:
At Elliotts, it’s all up to you – we’ll take care of you while you’re at work and get you home safely.
Discover our wide range of high quality safety products.
Welding safety equipment and accessories
Arc Flash clothing and equipment
General safety equipment and accessories